Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Ugly Katty

Hi all!
So, Helen and I are on the market, or almost. We still have a leaky bathroom but as the tiles are falling off as we speak (sounds more dramatic then is – they are coming down and four are currently swinging being held up by the hard nut tile who is clinging to some backing paper) they are a lot like wobbly teeth when you still have milk teeth. Anyho, we are confident that the leak will be put right very shortly and we will have the flat on the market before the HIP business comes in (1st July I think). So we are trying to use our time wisely and start looking to see how far our pounds and pence’s may stretch.

And herein lies a dilemma… I call it the zone 1 uglies V’s the zone 3 beauties. Or, put another way, an ex-council 2/3 bed flat on an estate in central London (or what I call central London which is where my centre is and includes old street, upper street and Liverpool street) versus a beautiful 2/3 bed Victorian house with original features in Newham (there are undoubtly other areas but we know this one relatively well plus the Olympics “its only two bloody weeks” factor). It’s a real head and heart thing with both saying very good reasons to go for either and to not do the other.

Anyway, I dare say we are really swaying towards our hearts i.e the zone 1/2 uglies. We’ve had a bit of a rough ride in Hounslow or Baptism by fire – the leaks, the bastard druggy neighbours, the deceitful money grabbing freeholder. But we know many people who live in flats that don’t have these problems, and people who live in houses who get these problems – especially the neighbour factor (or though there is something to be said for them living above you). We have also learnt that Hounslow is a london borough by name only – it takes a good 30 mins to go anywhere decent – a fact Mr T has pointed out a few times and an age to get to town. And its true – the reason being though, there is nowhere, or we have yet to find, anywhere near we want to spend time especially with visiting friends and family. The other thing is of course being a newish resident to London (3 years now), I still get really excited by it. I love London, I love the culture, the so many things to do and see. I love the fact there is a London community spirit. I love the tube, the shops the galleries. I want to be stood where I have a Star Bucks around me for every hour on the clock. Fortunately, Helen agrees! So we are seeing some houses this weekend and are going to be deeply researching Plaistow which is the area in Newham we would like for its proximity to Stratford. We are also registering on the estate agents in the E2, N1 areas and surrounding. We shall see what happens.

Despite everything, we have had some fun in Hounslow and definitely learnt a lot about leasehold/freehold law! I have also learnt I am a crap electrician after unsuccessfully installing a light fitting simultaneously successfully knocking out our light circuit. I can’t plaster either, but I am quite good with a drill, a paint brush and pulling down ceilings! At the moment we are having renewed enthusiasm addressing a few projects that we need to do before we sale – I am waiting for the paint stripper to dry at the moment on the front door and yesterday I put a new coat of paint in the bedroom from the leak in September. We have some tidying up to do in the kitchen in terms of painting behind the radiator and we want to get some new handles for our cupboards which are looking a little worn. I am also desperately trying to bring the weed pit, I mean garden up to speed, which is still a mess, but improving all the time.

Anyway, in other news, I wanted to say, and I believe I speak for everyone, well done Gary for your recent wonderful news. So well deserved and we wish you all the very best and every success with it (say hi to Jamie!).

Car is running brilliantly, just had some new seat belts put in and I have fixed the moving seat so its Ncap rating has gone from -20 to a healthy -17.67 now! Horary!
We washed and waxed it twice on Sunday – it looked so lovely we went for a little drive – we are so very sad! We are going to a autojumble soon at Bealeiu – apparently world famous so we hope to pick up a few bits.

Anyho, I am going to sand a door now. I hope everyone is well.

Big up to yer!

Kat x

1 comment:

Brinstar said...

Yay London! London is the coolest place that I have ever lived in, ever. And I am pre-emptively including Palo Alto on that list as well, having lived here for all of nearly three weeks.

It's hard to balance what your wants are in a place to live. Location definitely matters, but so does being in a comfortable place you are happy with. I think that most places, even if they aren't as pretty or picturesque as others, can be happy living environments regardless.

Your car talk reminds me that I need to do some car admin of my own. Must call some folks about insurance. Also, get car washed eventually.