Monday, August 20, 2007

In a kerfuffle

Its official – Autumn has been declared in the Blanch-arama leasehold and the heating was turned on briefly yesterday. I can’t help feeling just a little cheated this year, not least as I felt we were on a promise given by the Camp for climate change. Its not so much that I want scolding hot days of lazing around and t-shirt suntans – just that I can leave the flat confident that I am dressed for the day – not, as its been lately of dull, hot, wet, hot, dull, cold, hot. This year too was the year that I had resided myself to not tan in that I never do anyway, so lets slip slap slop it on and try and keep my freckles at bay. Never mind, I am now concentrating all efforts on just one more day of blissful summer sun to be scheduled for around mid September – the 15th ideally, I am sure I am not alone. I am sure 2008 will be full of Summer evenings of BBQs…. Go on jebus! Please!

Well, I had half expected to be effected by the aforementioned camp for climate change (prevention presumably) seeing as they are practically camped in the garden – this morning we received a generic email saying employees of my Authority are being targeted for attack – not sure why, as Heathrow is not actually in our borough by a hairs whisker. I was quite looking forward to being unduly harassed by a banker dressed as a clown, but it was not to be. It’s been quite interesting watching the events unfold with our vested interest in the airport. Recently my Authority executed a campaign called Love Hounslow and it was directed at the airport expansion and that if you loved Hounslow you would write to the appropriate MP and say stop! I can’t help thinking though that without Heathrow there would be no Hounslow – the public investment does not even come close to the private, it provides jobs whereas Hounslow is instigating a redundancy policy to cut costs and provide a better service (not sure how those two go together). It means there will always be excellent transport links both public and private. Now I know the campaign is about the expansion – but you can’t very well turn around to BAA and say thanks, but yeah, enough is enough now. Like we would be pretty hard pressed saying to India and China “yeah yeah, I know, we had our day and smog and pollution etc, but during your development, can you keep it clean”.

Camp for Climate change has been as much about the environment as it has been about freedom of speech. Apparently, with only a few recorded incidents of the Met Police acting heavy handed it’s been pretty ok. This is no doubt because Hounslow offers a mouth piece to literally anything for example Phil Andrew’s, allowing him to be a councillor despite having been a member of the National Front (http://www.communitygroup.org.uk/id3.html see the footnotes regarding his racial ideals). This leaves me a bit torn. I truly believe in freedom of speech, but like every liberal, believe this should be solely reserved for us and definitely in some sort of censorship for anything associated with the far right. To exemplify this further, I was laughing away about the ridiculous story of the chap being threatened with a criminal action if he continues to wear a t-shirt saying something about being in a bad mood and running out of space for the bodies. How stupid and a complete waste of time, until I went onto read about a pub who under new-management had declared that no mince or faggots on the menu after taking the pub over from a gay couple. Yes, that is offensive, certainly in my mind. Getting things wrong is something I am doing well lately, I refer to my previously blog, and having acquired Kate Nash’s album….. what a load of pants! That said, I can whole heartedly recommend Regina Spektor’s album ‘Begin to hope’ and would love to see her in concert – any takers???

Ok, I shall sign off, as far from getting any answers, I have confused myself further with this blog!

5 comments:

Jon Swords said...

I was in complete agreement with your latest workuntil i got to the end. On the Climate change camp i can't help thinking the protesters should be camped in China outside one of their power station. Did you know air travel makes up a massive 1.6% of the UK's carbon emissions, even leaving aside the fact that carbon is only 0.038% of the atmosphere, 1.6% is a pretty small amount.

On freedom of speech, people should be free to say what they like as long as they don't mind other people embarrassing them with a constructive argument (especially in the case of Daily Mail reading bigots).

Finally, on Kate Nash's album, you are completely wrong. In fact forget what i said about freedom of speech, nobody should be allowed to speak against the lovely Kate. Have you not seen her fringe? Now, as the music media tend to, some have labeled her 'sound' as chavitronica, or a voice for the 'bovvered generation' but she's far more than that. Her beats are clever, lyrics intelligent (i'd love to meet Mariella) and she can play instruments. And she'd kick Lily Allen's ass.

Kat said...

Ok, point taken - I will give the Nash-ster and her fantastic fringe (it is pretty cool) another go! If I am honest, I found the lyrics a bit *ahem* juvenille - but your right - that doesn't make it pants and that is my opinion - what is it they say about people who dismiss things they don't understand....

BTW, there was an hilarous interview with Sienna Miller on R4 Today show yesterday, her being the latest lecturing celebritiy on cliamte change and the perils FACT of flying FACT Madonna sung about it so FACT FACT FACT plainly. She said that you can join the gang if you cut down and by say, not having a bath! The only question I have about the whole thing is what will be the next issue band wagon we will next get a wembly concert about.

Jon Swords said...

Mascara for Africa...
Climate Change 2 - it's not hot enough yet...

On a more serious note, what with it being International slavery remembrance day, perhaps celebs could put their weight behind abolishing it once and for good.

Amy said...

Kate Nash has one fairly catchy song, although I curse myself for singing along to it. Especially the part regarding 'cracks in our foundations' - not something a planner should be promoting.

I think fair do to the people at the climate change camp... if it makes them feel better. What did amuse me was a BBC interview with one of the protesters, who when questioned if he used air travel replied 'about 2 flights per year'. When asked whether he thought this was acceptable, he replied 'no,not really'. Glad he put a lot of thought behind his reasons for being at the camp. I have a feeling he just couldn't afford two weeks in Benidorm this year, and Devon was too far so he decided to pitch up at Heathrow. Whatever floats your airbus....

I am with you sister for seeing Regina. 'Us' is one of my favourite and one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard it.

Take care chicken xxxx

Anonymous said...

Where is your latest update! - its been agaes